There isn’t any denying 2018 has completely examined our endurance, nevertheless it seems the yr hasn’t been full trash.
Past a number of the most essential elements of life like your family members and your well being, 2018 has really given us lots of good. From social justice initiatives like Time’s Up and March for Our Lives, to popular culture masterpieces like Queer Eye, Mamma Mia 2: Right here We Go Once more, and “thank u, next,” the yr had its share of hopeful, joyous, entertaining, and constructive moments.
So when occasions get robust and it looks like there’s not a lot to be pleased about in the world, listed here are 50 things to be thankful for.
1. Time’s Up launched. 2018 began off robust with a gaggle of greater than 300 ladies in the leisure business coming collectively to type Time’s Up — an initiative devoted to standing up towards sexual harassment.
2. Laverne Cox made historical past on the duvet of Cosmo. In January, actress and producer Laverne Cox additionally made historical past as the primary ever trans covergirl for Cosmopolitan Journal. Cox graced the duvet of Cosmo South Africa’s February difficulty.
three. The Fab 5 got here into our lives. It might really feel like Jonathan Van Ness, Tan France, Karamo Brown, Bobby Berk, and Antoni Porowski have been inspiring us all to eat, gown, groom, self-love, and embellish to one of the best of our talents for a lifetime, however Netflix’s Queer Eye reboot solely premiered in Feb. 2018.
four. Drake’s “God’s Plan” music video. Keep in mind pre-Meek Mill beef when Drake gave away almost a million dollars and filmed himself doing all these good deeds like paying for individuals’s groceries? That was good!
5. The Parkland teenagers. Although 2018 was filled with an unfathomable quantity of tragedy and gun violence, the yr additionally impressed a heartwarming quantity of youth activism in America. After the lethal Parkland capturing in February, a gaggle of sweet sixteen survivors from the Florida highschool capturing has persistently stood up to authorities officers and publicly advocated for gun management.
Parkland teenagers at March For Our lives rally.
Picture: CHIP SOMODEVILLA/GETTY IMAGES
This yr alone they’ve shaped March for Our Lives, led faculty walkouts, impressed others (each younger and previous) to register to vote and protest gun violence, and even impressed the Obama’s to write a heartfelt entry in the Time 100 concern.
6. Mirai Nagasu landed a triple axel. The Winter Olympics additionally befell this yr! There have been many standout moments however Mirai Nagasu completely slayed, making historical past by turning into the primary U.S. lady to land a triple axel in the Winter Olympics. Thankful we received to witness this second.
7. Black Panther got here out. We have been really blessed this yr by the arrival of the record-breaking Marvel’s cinematic masterpiece, Black Panther, and the gifted actors, fierce as hell soundtrack, and on-screen illustration it introduced to our world.
eight. Jordan Peele’s Oscar win. Talking of flicks, Peele’s movie Get Out gained “Best Original Screenplay” this yr, making him the primary black screenwriter to obtain the award.
9. The Tremendous Smash Bros. Final wait is nearly over. The extremely anticipated online game is about to come out for Nintendo Change on Dec. 7.
10. Beto O’Rourke. 2018 was the yr of Beto, burgers, and a Beyoncé midterms endorsement.
We simply need to say thanks to everybody who made this attainable. Everybody who made us really feel hopeful, everybody who impressed us. Everybody who turned probably the most superb marketing campaign we might have ever hoped to belong to. Grateful that we received to do that with you. We love you. Goodnight! pic.twitter.com/1j6JnhtP0f
— Beto O’Rourke (@BetoORourke) November 7, 2018
11. A Quiet Place. John Krasinski directed and starred in a horror movie alongside his IRL spouse that was so quiet and terrifying individuals have been too nervous to eat snacks in theaters. What a time to be alive.
12. Kendrick Lamar gained a Pulitzer. Keep in mind when the rapper was awarded the 2018 Pulitzer Prize in Music for his fourth studio album, DAMN? Hell yeah!
13. Beyoncé at Coachella. Beychella was THIS YEAR. We knew she would slay however nothing ready us for the sheer magnitude of her powerhouse efficiency, or Future’s Youngster, or the motion she impressed.
14. The Royal Wedding ceremony. When the world wanted a distraction from the dangerous and an escape from actuality, Meghan Markle and Prince Harry have been there for us. And for that we thank them.
15. Brooklyn 9-9 was saved. For a number of horrible, horrible, no good, very dangerous hours Brooklyn 9-9 was cancelled. However fortunately, after an entire lot of affection from followers, NBC picked it up for a sixth season.
16. Will not You Be My Neighbor reminded us of Mr. Rogers’ magic. We would have liked a heavy dose of Fred Rogers’ pure and healthful goodness to get us by means of the yr and this movie did simply the trick.
17. Ava DuVernay made historical past. DuVernay’s adaptation of A Wrinkle In Time led her to grow to be the primary black lady to direct a movie that grossed greater than $100 million on the field workplace.
18. The world is lastly taking motion towards plastic air pollution. Plastic straw bans are spreading throughout the U.S., Canada, and Europe. Companies like McDonald’s and Starbucks are even getting on board the motion.
19. We nonetheless have canine. Regardless of how dangerous things get we nonetheless have furry companions to flip to, and play with, and infrequently throw cheese on.
20. Eighth Grade crammed us with center faculty nervousness. Bo Burnham’s Eighth Grade reminded adults how worrying rising up can be and gave teenagers an emotional take a look at center faculty by means of a extra relatable lens.
21. Loopy Wealthy Asians was a smashing success. The movie dominated field workplace gross sales and served as an necessary milestone for Asian illustration in American popular culture. And guess what? It is getting a sequel.
22. Mamma Mia 2: Right here We Go Once more! Love. Being pregnant. Demise. Flashbacks. Dancing. Singing. Abba. Meryl. Cher. Andy García. Assist!
23. Nick Jonas and Priyanka Chopra. 2018 has seen the rise (Justin Bieber and Hailey Baldwin) and fall (Ariana and Pete) of superstar relationships. However by means of the ups and downs of the yr Nick Jonas and Priyanka Chopra’s love by no means appeared to waiver. We’re thankful this good, soon-to-be-wed couple is right here to restore our religion in love.
24. LeBron James opened up a faculty. The NBA star opened his “I Promise” faculty in Akron, Ohio, to give 240 third and fourth grade college students a life-changing instructional alternative.
25. To All The Boys I’ve Beloved Earlier than captured our hearts. Netflix launched the world to the movie adaptation of Jenny Han’s younger grownup guide and after Peter Kavinsky’s “woah woah woah,” our hearts won’t ever be the identical. Not to point out it impressed dozens of Lara Jean Halloween costumes.
26. That quirky, tremendous high-maintenance cat was adopted. Keep in mind Bruno, the thicc, polydactyl cat that Wright Method Rescue Animal Shelter in Morton Grove, Illinois, was making an attempt to discover a residence? He discovered one :’).
27. A sixgill shark was found. That is cool as a result of most sharks have 5 gills. It is also a reminder that we should always be thankful for oceanographers, researchers, and all those that discover the our huge and mysterious oceans.
28. India strikes down homosexual intercourse ban. On Sept. 6, members of India’s Supreme Courtroom unanimously voted to make the landmark ruling that eliminates the ban on consensual homosexual intercourse.
29. Moth memes lit up our lives. The yr was crammed with good memes however these moth/lamp memes? Pure pleasure.
30. Amy Sherman-Palladino and all these Emmys. Amy Sherman-Palladino has all the time been genius. Gilmore Women? Bun Heads? Gilmore Women: A Yr in the Life? It is about time she’s correctly celebrated, so we’re thankful The Marvelous Mrs. Maisel gained 4 Emmys. We’re additionally thankful for her husband, Dan Palladino.
Picture: Wealthy Fury/Getty Photographs
31. Twitter did one good factor. We’ve no edit button and there is nonetheless bots and harassment a-plenty, however on the very least, Twitter introduced again the chronological timeline.
32. Gritty got here into our lives. Can anybody even keep in mind a world with out the Philadelphia Flyers’ new bushy orange mascot?
33. The Workplace is again … kind of. Whereas followers of the NBC comedy are nonetheless holding out hope for a revival, 2018 handled these nostalgic for the times of Dunder Mifflin to an enthralling off-broadway musical.
34. Talking of The Workplace — be thankful for Steve Carell. He stars with Timothée Chalamet and Amy Ryan (Holly Flax) in Lovely Boy. He is received Welcome to Marwen popping out, which seems to be, uh fascinating. He is on SNL. And he is making his triumphant return to tv!
35. Woman Gaga and Bradley Cooper gave us life. A Star Is Born got here out this yr, together with a kickass soundtrack and a few good memes. We’ll by no means be the identical.
36. Fats Bear Week ran our lives for 7 days. A lot love to all of the fats bears on the market who distracted us for a whole week simply by dwelling their lives.
37. This throwback baked potato costume. Halloween costumes are nice however this throwback baked potato get-up actually made us smile.
38. Thankful for the recent duck in Central Park. We thought we misplaced him, however he is again once more. <three
39. We now have a brand new anthem: “Party For One.” How did Carly Rae Jepsen know we have been in determined want of a music to dance in our underwear and eat a big pizza alone to? And the music video! UGH!
40. And there is no musical reward with out discussing Ariana Grande. The warrior of 2018, Ariana Grande, has given followers a lot love, inspiration, and hope all year long. Not to point out, the last word unbiased BOP: “thank u, next.”
i’m so ….. fuckin ….. grateful
— Ariana Grande (@ArianaGrande) November 11, 2018
41. BDE got here to be. Talking adjacently of Pete Davidson, for higher or worse 2018 additionally gave us Massive Dick Power and that is one thing we’ll always remember.
42. Netflix nonetheless delivers. Netflix has an entertaining social media presence and continues to create high quality unique exhibits and films.
43. There was a rise in voter turnout. 2018 proved People are standing up for what they consider in and exercising their proper to vote. Voter turnout for midterm elections reached a 50-year excessive, and younger individuals voted at historic charges.
44. Midterm outcomes confirmed a refreshing quantity of variety. It was an evening of historic firsts — from over 100 ladies elected to Congress (the very best quantity ever) to wins for the LGBTQ group and extra.
45. The Detective Pikachu trailer seems to be pleasant. One other cute as hell film to look ahead to? Sure please.
46. Cher’s Twitter is hilarious. Twitter is someday terrible however not Cher’s account. That is all the time good.
47. All the books. The world has so many books simply ready to be learn — books for whenever you’re mad on the patriarchy, books for hikers, books all about delight. And a few nice books written this yr.
48. All the nice TV exhibits. Streaming apart, there are dozens of phenomenal exhibits airing on tv this yr, like Superstore, The Good Place, This Is Us, Killing Eve, and extra.
49. Sports activities are nonetheless a factor! We have got soccer, we have got soccer, we have got basketball, baseball, hockey, and so many extra. Sports activities convey individuals collectively!
50. All of the individuals working to hold others protected, knowledgeable, and up-to-date with the information. It has been a troublesome yr for information, mass shootings, and pure disasters, which is why we’re thankful for all of the arduous working journalists, reporters, information anchors, first responders, climate forecasters, and hurricane scientists.
So keep in mind: Regardless of how dangerous things could seem there are all the time some shiny spots in the world.
if (window._geo == ‘GB’)